Saturday, August 13, 2011

Banana-que and Kamote-que

I have been wanting some banana-que for quite some time now but everytime I go home to the Philippines, I always chicken out from buying street food in fear that I might get sick...hahaha...I think the older I get, the more sensitive my stomach becomes. Anyways, my friends got some banana-que when we went to the public market but I didn't eat any. Instead, I opted to eat some santol which, to my dismay, gave me a belly ache early the following morning. Well, to appease the cravings, I made some banana- and kamote-que today. I bought some sab-a banana from the Filipino store yesterday and kamote from the korean market the other day.





Ingredients:

Sab-a banana (plantain), peeled and cut in half
kamote, peeled and sliced thickly and diagonally
brown sugar (i used dark brown sugar)
vegetable oil




1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. cook banana and kamote separately. WARNING: Be careful not to burn yourself.




2. Cook until light golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a platter.




3. Remove some of the oil from the pan, leaving just enough to caramelize the brown sugar. Be careful not to burn the caramelized sugar otherwise it will taste bitter.



4. Add the fried banana or kamote a little at a time. Coat all sides and skewer.

NOTE: I find that the easiest way to skewer the banana or kamote que is using two bamboo skewers. One will hold it steady and the other will be used to pierce through and skewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment