Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ginisang Mongo ( Sauteed Mung Beans)

This dish reminds me of home and memories from my not-so-distant past. It reminds me of my childhood spent in our house which was located in a sugar central compound where my dad works. I miss the village, the people, the simple life. Now, the place has changed so much to the point that it is beyond recognition. Gone are the uniformly-built and well-kept houses which added so much charm to the place. It has been replaced instead by sugarcane plantation. It is a sharp contrast from what it used to look like. To be honest, I have not been back since the village where I used to live was changed into a plantation. I do not think I can handle it,too sad. I would rather preverve my memory of what the place used to look like...a place that holds so many memories of my childhood and youth; of friendships that has endured the test of time; of loved ones who remains steadfast in their support and love for me; and of experiences that has helped shape me to become the person that I am today...


Ingredients:

1 cup mung beans
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 tomato, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
oil
salt to taste
bunch of spinach


1. Place mung bean in a pan and cover with water. Let it boil until beans softens and thick. Keep an eye to make sure that the water does not evaporate. Add mor water if needed until the desired consistency for mung beans is achieved then set aside.


2. Add water to a large bowl. Add spinach and rinse. Leave spinach in the bowl to allow dirt to settle to the bottom. Set aside while Preparing the rest of the ingredients.


3. Heat pan to medium heat. Add oil and then saute garlic and onions until translucent.

4. Add tomatoes and cook until soft. Add shrimp and sautee until it turns pink.



5. Add mung bean mixture and let it simmer for a few minutes. Add water if needed but make sure to let it simmer until the soup slightly thickens.

6. Add spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, or until spinach is soft.

7. Season with salt according to taste. Remove form heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment