Monday, August 15, 2011

Green Mango Shake




Green mango shake has become one of my favorite drinks. My first encounter with this drink was in January of this year while I was vacationing in Bacolod, Philippines. Ripple's @ L'Fisher Hotel serves this drink and out of curiousity, I tried it. Of course, it was after I asked the waiter repeatedly to make sure that the ice they use for the shake is from bottled water and not tap water. So far, this is the only place in the Philippines that I would dare drink juice with ice or fruit shakes since everywhere else seem to be using ice from the local ice plant. There's really nothing wrong with that but based on experience, tap water and my stomach don't go well with each other...hahaha...

Green mango has a slightly sour taste which gives the shake its distict taste. Unfortunately, unripe philippine mango are hard to come by as most of the ones that are being sold in the Filipino stores are already ripe. Since I cannot find green philippine mango, I opted to use the ones that are sold in regular supermarkets. Although they are technically unripe, the fresh is slightly yellow in color. Nonetheless, the flavor is almost the same despite the difference color.

Ingredients:

1 green, unripe mango
sugar
water
ice cubes



1. Peel and dice mango.




2. In a blender, add 1/2 cup diced mango, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/4 cup water
NOTE: You can add more sugar if you want it sweeter. I wanted the shake to retain
a slightly sour taste so I only added 1 tsp of sugar.



3. Blend until the mixture reaches a pureed consistency.
4. Add ice and blend some more until smooth. Transfer to a glass and serve immediately.



Update: Bought some green mangoes and so happy the flesh was actually less yellow so I am posting pictures of the ones I made today.

No comments:

Post a Comment