Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kimchi pasta

Spending 2 weeks in Bacolod and Silay, my hometown, has been a dream which was made more special by the presence of my family and friends who came from all over the United States, Europe, and Australia. It was fun eating at all the famous Bacolod and Silay eateries because they brought back so many heartwarming memories. Being back in LA though, I feel that I am back in my own element and my reality. Along with that comes my craving for Korean food, Ha! But today, I feel rather conflicted since I also want some pasta...Otoki? The solution is Kimchi Pasta...a perfect combination of both pasta and Korean food.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup fresh kimchi (unfermented), chopped or sliced thinly
1/4 lb pork (I like the black pork belly from K-market), sliced thinly
1 - 2 tsp Gochujang (fermented red pepper paste)
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 medium tomato, cut into small cubes
1 Korean pepper, sliced thinly and diagonally
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
2 scallions, sliced thinly and diagonally
12 oz. angel hair pasta
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil






1. Cook angel hair according to direction. Don't forget to add salt and oil to the boiling water before adding pasta. Drain and set aside. DONT FORGET: save some of the pasta water for later.

2. Heat sauce pan to a medium heat. Add olive oil.
3. Add onions and saute until tanslucent.
4. Add tomato and saute until cooked.
5. Add pork and saute until done.
6. Add kimchi then 2 Tbsp of pasta water and saute until water evaporates.
7. Add bell pepper, korean chili pepper, and scallions and continue to cook for about 30 seconds.
8. Add angel hair pasta and mix well. Add some more of the pasta water if it is too dry.
9. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment