Friday, August 26, 2011

Kinilaw nga Rabanos ( Radish Salad)

Kinilaw nga Rabanos is a side dish that my mom used to make. This goes well with fish or grilled pork ribs. We used to have this a lot when I was growing up in the Philippines and one of the few veggies that I eat. I learned making this dish while watching my mom make it as I was growing up. I remember the process to be very tedious as it requires a lot of patience to slice the radish very thinly. I opted to julienne the radish though instead of slicing thinly using my mandolin slicer. The mandolin can also slice it thinly but it wasnt as thin as I'd like it to be.


Ingredients:

1 radish, peeled and julienned or slice thinly
1 shallot, sliced thinly
1 tomato, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup cane vinegar
salt and coarsely ground black pepper
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

1. Place julienned radish in a bowl and sprinkle about 1 tsp of salt, mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes.
NOTE: The salt will draw the water out from the radish.

2. Using a cheesecloth, squeeze all of the water from the radish. Discard the liquid.

3. Addtomato, onions, garlic, pepper flakes, and vinegar to the radish and mix well.

4. Let it stand for about 30 minutes to marinate and then serve with meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment