Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pasta With Sardines, Bread Crumbs and Capers

I bought 2 cans of sardines in oil when I went grocery shopping for my tuyo pasta recipe which I meant to substitute for tuyo in case I couldn't find one. But, as luck would have it, I found a bottle from another Filipino store that I went to. Now, I have this sardine cans but no idea what to make it into so I searched the net for recipes and found one that interested me. This recipe is based from New York Times website recipe which I changed a little bit. I used Moroccan spiced sardines in olive oil instead of sardines in extra virgin olive oil.



Ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 onion, chopped

Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste

1 lb linguine fini

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

2 tablespoons drained capers

2 cans moroccan spiced sardines

1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley, plus more for garnish.





1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Cook pasta according to direction. Save some of the pasta water. Drain and set aside.

2. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.





3. Add the remaining oil and the onion to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent.




4. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the lemon zest, capers and sardines. Cook until heated through.






5. Add the pasta to the sardine mixture and toss to combine.





6. Add the parsley and most of the bread crumbs. Mix well.




7. Taste and adjust seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with parsley and the remaining bread crumbs.




Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment