Friday, August 19, 2011

Sizzling Squid

I bought some squids from the Korean market when I went there to pick up some supplies. It has been sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days but I was not sure how I'd like to cook it... adobo? nah, too salty... bokkeum? too small...sizzling squid? why not?...darn I must really be feeling homesick since this is another dish that I ate about 2-3 times when I was in the Philippines last month. I tweaked it though to suite my taste... which means spicy...hahaha



Ingredients:

1 Lb squid
1/2 cup butter (or less, if you prefer)
1Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp paprika
1-2 tsps red chili flakes
1 kalamansi, sliced thinly
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tsp lemon juice
1 bunch flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, coarsely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste




1. Clean Squid by removing tentacles and insides, clear cartillage, and outer tissue. Rinse and drain well. Slice into 1/2 inch size.




2. Heat cast iron pan in medium heat. Add olive oil and 1/2 of the butter. Be careful not to burn your butter. Add garlic and onions. Cook until translucent.




3. Add shrimp, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix.


4. When the juice starts to come out, add paprika then chili flakes. Mix, mix, mix. Cook until almost all of the juice evaporates.





5. When almost all of the liquid has evaporated, add the rest of the butter.

6. Add lemon zest and parsley. MIx and cook for about 30 seconds.



7. Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning according to taste.



8. Garnich with kalamansi and parsley. Serve in cast iron pan immediately. WARNING: Be careful, pot is extremely hot.



SIDENOTE: The aroma of freshly baked bread is starting to fill the house...I cannot wait to see and share the result of the no knead bread recipe that I tried...

No comments:

Post a Comment