Friday, August 12, 2011

Tuyo ( Dried Herring) Pasta

As I have mentioned in my previous post, I recently came back from Bacolod after a two-week vacation. On my last night there, my friends and I ate at 18th St. Pala-Pala Resto where food was delish. After a rather heavy meal, we wanted to have some coffee and dessert. Someone suggested going to Cafe @ Bob's along Lacson St. So, off we go there. One of my friend's friend, Julius, who joined us at CAB ordered Tuyo Pasta. I was curious about the dish since I have never heard of it before but since I just had dinner, I opted for coffee and tiramisu instead.

After coming back to the States, I wanted to recreate the dish but I was so jet lagged that I have not had the chance to go to the Filipino store to purchase the ingredients that I need until today. I tried recreating the dish and was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. The fact that it did not have the fishy taste which I dreaded was a huge plus.



Ingredients:

2-3 Tuyo in olive oil, flaked (Use more if you want a stronger flavor)
1 medium onion, diced finely
2 large tomatoes, diced finely
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 bunch parsley, chopped coarsely
1 korean chili pepper, sliced thinly and diagonally
***May be substituted with siling labuyo
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
12 oz angel hair pasta
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
parmesan cheese




1. Cook pasta according to direction then drain and set aside
*** don't forget to save some of the pasta water
2. Heat saucepan to medium heat.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
4. Add onion and cook until translucent.
5. Add tuyo flakes and saute for about 30 seconds.
6. Add tomato and cook until done.
7. Add bell pepper, pepper flakes, chili pepper, and parsley. Cook for about 30 seconds to a minute.
8. Add pasta and mix. Cook until pasta is heated through.
*** Use some of the pasta water if it becomes too dry.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
11. Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.

NOTE: If you don't like spicy pasta, you can omit the chili pepper and pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment