Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Linguine al Nero di Seppia (Squid Ink Linguine)

This my tribute to the recently concluded Korean drama entitled "Scent of a Woman". The main characters met in Japan and had this pasta. I really wanted to make the one with the squid ink sauce but couldn't find any prepared ones. Short of having to collect the squid ink myself, this is a better alternative...hehehe. I may have to order some online though so I could make risotto al nero di seppia (Squid ink risotto) or arroz negro (black rice). The good thing is that I found this newly opened(or so I was told) place at the Farmer's Market in Third and Fairfax that sells squid ink pasta and the guy whom I talked to said that the company who makes the pasta might be releasing a new product, squid ink gnocchi, soon. Oh, that sounds really nice...can't wait for them to carry it.

Ah, the walk through the farmer's market was really nice. I found fresh lemon grass which I could use for another squid recipe that i have in mind. There were also passion fruits which, at $1.98 a piece, was a little too much in my opinion. But then again, that was the first time that I have seen passion fruit in a long time. Maybe I should have gotten some...

In Filipno cuisine, we really don't use squid ink other than leaving the ink sacs when we cook squid adobo. Squid ink is very popular in Italy where they use it in risotto and as ingredient to make squid ink pasta as well as pasta sauces. It is also very popular in Spain particularly Valencia where they use squid ink as an ingredient for arroz negro or black rice. As I have previously stated, this dish uses squid ink pasta instead of using squid ink in the sauce. One advantage of squid ink pasta over the squid ink sauce is not having to deal with blackened teeth as a result of eating the dish...hehehe...not a good food for date night. Although I have to say squid ink pasta is a lot milder than using the ink for the sauce.



Ingredients:

4 oz squid ink linguine
1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
1 shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium vine-ripened tomato, cubed 1/2 inch size
a handful of parsley, chopped roughly
10 large shrimps, shelled and deveined with the tail left on
1/2 cup white wine
1 tbsp butter
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


1. Cook pasta according to direction. Add salt and oil to the pasta water. Reserve some of the pasta water before draining pasta using a colander.
2. Heat pan over medium heat.
3. Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant and translucent.
4. Add shrimp and saute until it changes into orange color.
5. Add tomato and mix well(NOTE: the reason I am adding the tomato a little later is because I did not want it to cook too long and breakdown)
6. Add wine and simmer for a couple of minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper, to taste
8. Add pasta and parsley, mix well.
9. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. YOu may also add some pasta water if it is too dry.
10. Remove from heat and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment