Sunday, September 18, 2011

Walnut Crusted Tuna Steak

This is the main dish that came with the sauteed swiss chard which I had as a very late (ok, really early? breakfast) dinner at around 1 a.m. I had so much to do that day that I didn't really have time to sit down and eat. I defrosted the tuna in the refrigerator the night before intending to cook it for lunch but because of school deadlines, I didn't get around to cooking. By midnight, my stomach was growling becuase I have not had anything all day save for the tub of macadania nuts that I was munching on while typing and searching for information at my school's online library. Darn, it was a little too late when I realized that I was going to use those nuts for my tuna dish...Oh, well...moving on...

So, there I was looking around my cupboard for something to use with my tuna when I found some walnuts...hmmm...possibility, I can just use it as a substitute for macadamia. Off I went to slicing , dicing, sauteeing, coating, and cooking...hehehe... It was a nice dish which was even more special in combination with the sauteed swiss chard. I like my tuna on the raw side so I cooked it rare by slightly frying it in the olive oil just long enough to brown the outside surface.



Ingredients:

3 oz. ahi tuna steak
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
a pinch of garlic powder
2 tbsp ground macadamia or walnuts

1. Coat tuna with 1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
2. season with salt and pepper as well as garlic powder
3. coat with ground nuts
4. Heat pan over medium heat then add remaining olive oil
5. Sear tuna until light brown in color on all side or according to desired doneness.
6. Transfer to a serving plate lined with a bed of sauteed swiss chard.
7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment